The best way to prevent RWIs is to keep germs out of the pool in the first place.
Follow these steps for a safe and healthy swimming experience:
Steps for all Swimmers:
- Don’t swim when you have diarrhea.
- Don’t swallow pool water.
- Practice good hygiene. Shower with soap before swimming and wash your hands after using the toilet or changing diapers. Germs on your body end up in the water.
Steps for Parents of Young Children:
- Take your kids on bathroom breaks or check diapers often.
- Change diapers in a bathroom or a diaper-changing area and not at poolside.
- Wash your children thoroughly ''especially the rear end'' with soap and water before they go swimming.